Pineapple Upside Down Cake
This delicious dessert is made with a base of pineapple, topped with a moist and fluffy vanilla cake. It's the perfect balance of sweet and tropical flavours, and is sure to be a hit with anyone who loves pineapple. We'll walk you through all the steps for how to make this cake from scratch, including how to add the pineapple and prepare the cake batter. Give it a try and impress your friends and family with this tasty treat.
For the topping:
- 50g softened butter
- 50g light soft brown sugar
- 7 Del Monte pineapple rings in syrup, drained and syrup reserved
For the cake:
- 100g softened butter
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas mark 4
- Start by preparing the topping by beating 50g softened butter and the light brown sugar together until light and creamy.
- Spread this mixture over the base and ¼ way up the sides of a 20cm round cake tin.
- Drain the pineapple rings, keeping the syrup for later
- Place 7 pineapple rings on top of the mixture.
- To make the cake, using an electric whisk, beat together all of the cake ingredients above, plus 2 tbsp of pineapple syrup, until combined and creamy.
- Place the cake mixture over the pineapple slices and level off.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool for about 20 minutes then turn out the cake onto a plate and serve.
Ready to try this pineapple upside down cake recipe? Find all ingredients at a Costcutter store near you.