Makes 1 loaf, 1 hour prep, 1¼ to 1½ hours baking
With a zingy splash of lemon and a dash of honey, this succulent fruity Tea Loaf is guaranteed to be a perfect sweet treat accompaniment to a nice cup of tea!
- 225g Brown sugar
- 300ml Black Tea
- 300g Dried Raisins, Currants and Glace Cherries
- 100g Crushed Almonds
- Zest and Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 Large Egg, beaten
- 100g Butter and extra for lining the tin.
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 300ml Milk
- 450g Self-Raising flour
- 2 tsp Mixed spice (such as cinnamon and ginger)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- In a large mixing bowl pour the hot Black Tea over the Brown Sugar, Mixed Spice and Dried Raisins, Currants and Glace Cherries.
- Squeeze and grate the zest of the Lemon and add the juice and fine peel to the bowl and leave to soak for an hour.
- In a separate bowl mix the Egg, Butter and Milk, gradually sieving the Flour into the mix. Beat together until the mixture is smooth.
- Crush the Almonds and after draining the tea add these to the tea-soaked sugar and fruit with the Honey.
- Combine this to the cake mix and stir well.
- Pour the well-combined mixture into a loaf tin lined with butter and baking parchment.
- Bake for 1 ¼ or ½ hours, as needed.
- Once the Teas Loaf is golden brown and fully done remove from the oven.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then turn out onto a wire cooling rack.
- Serve plain or buttered, with a nice cup of tea!