Serves 6, 30 minutes Preparation , 30 minutes - 1 hour Cooking
What could be more scrumptious than a slice of warming Sticky Toffee Pudding? Drizzled with a sweet butterscotch toffee sauce and a dab of cooling vanilla ice cream, this classic pudding is comfort food at its finest!
For the Sticky Toffee Pudding:
- 100g Unsalted Butter, softened, and extra for greasing the baking tin
- 100g Plain Flour for lining the baking tin
- 250g Pitted Dried Dates
- 150g Soft Dark Brown Sugar
- 150g Golden Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 large Eggs
- 150ml Boiling Water
- 200g Self-Raising Flour
- Optional: pinch of salt or 50g Mini Fudge Pieces and Vanilla Ice Cream for serving
For the Butterscotch Toffee Sauce:
- 200g Unsalted Butter
- 100g Soft Dark Brown Sugar
- 100g Golden Caster Sugar
- 250ml Double Cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- To prepare the Sticky Toffee sponge, slice the Dried and Pitted Dates into 4 pieces, place into a jug of boiling water and leave to soak for 10 minutes to soften.
- Whilst the Dates soak, grease a large, deep baking tin with butter and lightly flour each side and base.
- Beat the softened Butter and the Brown and Golden Caster Sugar until light and creamy, then add the Vanilla extract and Eggs one at a time, stirring as each is added. Gradually sift in the Self-Raising Flour to avoid the mix from curdling.
- Blend the Dates mixture until thick and smooth, then stir in to the sponge mixture.
- Pour the mix into the tin, place in the oven and bake for 30-45 minutes (use a skewer to check when the sponge is done inside- it should come out clean of mixture).
- Once cooked, allow to cool in the tin.
- For the Butterscotch Toffee Sauce, gently melt the Butter and Brown and Golden Caster sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer gently.
- Reduce the heat and pour in the Double Cream, stirring slowly until the sauce has turned a rich golden brown and is bubbling gently.
- When the sauce is ready, slice the Sticky Toffee Pudding and pour the sauce on top.
- Add a sprinkle of salt for a salted caramel flavour, or top with mini fudge pieces for an extra fun treat.
- Serve and enjoy with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream. Delicious!