Serves 6, 30 minutes Preparation, 1 hour Baking
This delicious cake with a fun twist will be a real surprise!
For the Cake:
- 250g Caster Sugar
- 250g Self-Raising Flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 205g Butter
For the Butter Cream:
- 150g Unsalted Butter, softened
- 300g Icing Sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the Topping:
- Strawberry or Raspberry jam
- cut Strawberries (rounds)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the Egg, Butter, Vanilla Extract and Sugar, gradually sieving the Flour into the mix.
- Beat together until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the well-combined mixture into a round cake tin lined with butter and baking parchment.
- Bake for 1 hour, or as needed.
- Once the Cake is golden brown and fully done remove from the oven.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then turn out onto a wire cooling rack.
- For the Butter Cream: Place the softened Butter in a large mixing bowl and beat until light and creamy. Gradually sift in the icing sugar, beating the mixture together and then adding more icing sugar as it combines.
- Add in the Vanilla extract and the first tbsp of milk and mix until smooth, adding the second spoonful of milk if necessary. The mixture should be soft but not runny.
- Once the sponge has cooled, spread a layer of jam on top.
- Spoon the Butter Cream onto your cake.
- For the toppings slice the blueberries, strawberries and cherries into round slices
- Scatter the fruit slices on top of the butter cream evenly, then slice and serve.
- Piece of cake!