1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, then sieve together the flour, salt, and caster sugar into a large mixing bowl.
2. Rub in the butter using your fingertips until a consistency of ground almonds has been achieved. If you are adding sultanas of cherries stir them in now.
3. Make a well in the centre and slowly start to add the milk whilst mixing gently with a wooden spoon and then combine the ingredients together to form a smooth paste.
4. Leave the mix to rest for ten minutes in a bowl covered with cling film.
5. Then roll out the mix on a lightly floured surface to approximately 15mm thick, then take a 5cm cutter and start cutting out the scones then place the scones on baking tray lined with baking paper (or a silicone mat of you have one) and rest for a further ten minutes.
6. Carefully brush the scones with egg wash (simply made from whisking an egg) then place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until golden brown in colour.
7. Remove from the oven and allow the scones to cool on a cooling wire. Serve whilst still warm with butter or for an even sweeter treat serve with jam and cream, yum!