MAKES 12-24, PREPARATION TIME 30 MINUTES, BAKING TIME 20-25 MINUTES
Get the family together to make these yummy chocolate fudge cupcakes for Mother’s Day, or any day! Deliciously chocolatey, decorate the cakes however you wish. It’s fun for kids and grandkids of all ages, even grown up ones!
For the Cupcakes:
- 200g Unsalted Butter
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 100g Plain Chocolate
- 100g Milk Chocolate
- 200g Light Brown Sugar
- 50ml Boiling Water
- 2 large or 3 Medium Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 250g Self-Raising Flour
For the Fudge Icing:
- 200g Plain Choc
- 100ml Double Cream
- 150g Icing Sugar
- 50g Softened Unsalted Butter
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- In a mixing bowl gently heat the Butter, the Dark and Milk Chocolate (broken into chunks) and Light Brown Sugar over a saucepan with boiling water at the bottom (don’t let the hot water or bowl touch as this will burn the chocolate).
- Stir occasionally until all the mixture has melted (add the Water if the mixture is a little thick but do not make it too runny).
- While the mixture cools slightly, in a mixing bowl beat the Eggs and add the Vanilla Extract and Cocoa Powder.
- Sieve the Self-Raising Flour into the bowl and mix, then pour in the melted chocolate mixture and stir until all combined. (If a little runny, add a dash of plain flour until thickened).
- Place up to 24 cupcake cases into the 12 holes of each of two muffin baking trays.
- Using a teaspoon scoop an even amount of mixture into each of the cupcake cases until all the mixture has been used.
- Place in the oven and leave to cook for 20-25 minutes, until cooked all the way through.
- Remove from the oven and place the cupcakes (still in their cases) on a rack to cool.
- Whilst they are cooling, prepare the chocolate fudge icing by gently melting the Chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water (again make sure the bowl and water don’t touch).
- Once melted, sieve in the Icing Sugar and stir in the Butter and Double Cream.
- Mix and leave to cool until it forms a smooth yet thick chocolatey paste.
- Once the cakes have fully cooled, spread or pipe the cooled chocolate fudge icing.
- Decorate with grated chocolate, sprinkles, or however you wish!