20 minutes preparation, 15 minutes cooking
These sweet heart shaped biscuits are perfect to serve with a cup of tea in bed on Valentine’s Day morning or given as a romantic homemade gift.
- 250g Plain Flour
- 200g Butter, cut into cubes
- 100g Icing Sugar
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 8tbsp your favourite Jam
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C.
- Place the flour, butter, icing sugar into a bowl then rub the ingredients together using your fingertips until you have a mixture that looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolks to the bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until a dough forms. Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to a thickness of about 0.5cm. Cut out the biscuits using a heart shaped cutter – you will need an equal number of biscuits.
- Divide the biscuits in half. Using a 2cm/1in cutter (preferably heart shaped) make a hole in the middle of half of the sable biscuits and discard the dough then put all of the biscuits on a baking tray.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until light golden-brown and crisp. Once cooked, carefully remove from the tray using a palette knife and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Using a teaspoon, place a small dollop of your chosen jam on one of the biscuits that doesn’t have a hole in it. Place a biscuit with a hole over the whole biscuit then repeat until all the biscuits are complete.