Marinated Mushroom Wraps
Calling all mushroom lovers. This no-fuss recipe with succulent, savoury mushrooms allows you to enjoy your dinner the veggie way.
Ingredients (for the mushrooms)
- 450g mushrooms (white button or cremini are best for marinating)
- 4 cups of water
- Zest of 1 lime
- 4 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro/coriander
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
Ingredients (other fillings)
- Iceberg lettuce
- 1 red pepper
- 1 large red onion
- Grated cheese
- Sauces, such as guacamole or sour cream
- First things first: in a saucepan, add 4 cups of water and bring to a simmer. Cut your mushrooms in half and add them to the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the mushrooms are slightly tender.
- Remove from heat and drain the mushrooms well.
- Time to make the marinade! In a ziplock bag, add the following ingredients: lime juice, zest of 1 lime, minced garlic cloves, brown sugar, pepper, 2 of 3 tablespoons oil, cilantro and soy sauce.
- Once mixed together in the bag, place the warm mushrooms in also. Massage the mushrooms through the bag to distribute the marinade equally. Now, place this on a plate and leave to marinate in the fridge: mushrooms can be marinated for only 5 minutes, however to make the most of the flavours, marinate for at least eight hours.
- When ready, remove the mushrooms and discard the marinade bag. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan. Fry the mushroom for 3-5 minutes ( you can slice them first or leave them in their halves), until caramelized and golden brown.
- Prepare your other wrap fillings. This is where you can experiment, as you can add the ingredients you like, but here are some suggestions.
- Slice then fry/grill a red pepper and red onion, using a little bit of oil. This should only take 3-4 minutes.
- Chop up iceberg lettuce and grate some cheese.
- Fill your wrap with your desired fillings and add sauce. Enjoy!
Ready to try this marinated mushroom wraps recipe? Find all ingredients at a Costcutter store near you.