Fudgy Chocolate Brownie Bites
This fudgy, rich tray bake is bound to satisfy anyone’s sweet cravings. Gooey in all the right places and perfect for sharing with friends and family.
- 185g unsalted butter
- 185g dark chocolate
- 85g plain flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- 50g white chocolate
- 50g milk chocolate
- 3 large eggs
- 275g golden caster sugar
- Cut the unsalted butter into small cubes and place in a medium bowl. Also break up the dark chocolate and add to the same bowl.
- In a saucepan, add about a quarter full of hot water. Sit the bowl on top so it sits on the rim of the pan, not touching the water. Put over a low heat until the butter and chocolate have melted, stirring occasionally to mix them.
- Remove the bowl from the pan. Leave the mixture to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
- To a bowl, add the plain flour and cocoa powder through a sieve.
- Prepare the 20cm square tin by cutting out a square of non-stick baking parchment and lining the base.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and tip in the caster sugar. With an electric whisk, mix them both until thick. This can take 3-8 minutes, depending on the power of the mixer. It’s ready when the mixture becomes pale and double its original size.
- Pour the cooled chocolate/butter mixture over the eggy mousse, then gently fold together with a spatula. To mix well, put the spatula in the batter at one side of the bowl, take it underneath and bring up the opposite side and again in the middle. This should make a figure of eight: keep folding like this, until the two mixtures are fully one and the colour is dark brown. The purpose of this is to mix them without knocking out the air, so be slow and gentle.
- Hold the sieve over the bowl of the wet mixture and resift the cocoa and flour combination.
- Gently fold in this powder using the same figure of eight action as before. This mixture may look dry at first, but it will soon be fudgy after mixing for a while. Stop just before you think you should, to avoid over-mixing.
- Next chop up the white and milk chocolate and stir them into the mix.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, scraping every bit out of the bowl with the spatula. Then, gently ease the mix into the corners and level it out evenly.
- Put the baking tray on the middle shelf of the pre-heated oven and leave to bake for 25 minutes.
- Once the time is done, wiggle the tray and see if the brownie wobbles. You could also stab the brownie with a knife- either way, if it is not quite ready, put it in for another 5 minutes. The top should have a shiny, papery crust and the sides should begin to come away from the tin when it’s done.
- Take your baked creation out of the oven.
- Leave in the tin whilst allowing the brownie tray bake to cool. Once cool, cut into 16 squares (or as many as you’d like!). And voila! Now you have delicious brownie bites that last up to two weeks if kept in an airtight container. You can even put them in the freezer for a later date!
Ready to try this fudgy chocolate brownie bites recipe? Find all ingredients at a Costcutter store near you.