1. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan, then gently cook 2 finely chopped onions for 5 mins, until soft but not coloured.
2. Add 1kg pumpkin or squash, cut into chunks, to the pan, then carry on cooking for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally until it starts to soften and turn golden.
3. Pour 700ml vegetable or chicken stock into the pan and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins until the squash is very soft.
4. Pour 150ml double cream into the pan, bring back to the boil, then purée with a hand blender. For an extra-velvety consistency you can pour the soup through a fine sieve. The soup can now be frozen for up to 2 months.
5. To make the croutons: cut 4 slices wholemeal seeded bread into small squares.
6. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan, then fry the bread until it starts to become crisp.
7. Add a handful of pumpkin seeds to the pan, then cook for a few mins more until they are toasted. These can be made a day ahead and stored in an airtight container.
8. Reheat the soup if needed, taste for seasoning, then serve scattered with croutons and seeds and drizzled with more olive oil, if you want.
Cadbury Chocolate Mousse Snowmen, Beats Headphones, Apple iPads and, our grand prize, a 65" Samsung Curved UHD TV are up for grabs!
Help Santa find the three missing presents scattered around our website.
When you find a present, click on it to keep it safe and move onto a new page to find the next one. Once you've found all three, fill in the form that will appear to enter the competition!
Find three Christmas presents and WIN