Serves 6, 10 minutes preparation, 35 minutes cooking
This tasty Vegetarian Gravy is great with any roast dinner and is so quick and easy that it is ready in under an hour. The gravy is also perfect for making in advance, freezing then using when required for a speedy dinner.
- 2 Carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, washed and finely chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 Bay Leaf, fresh or dried
- 1 fresh Thyme Sprig
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 1 large knob of Butter
- 2tbsp Plain Flour
- 1tbsp Tomato Purée
- 2tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1lt Vegetable/Chicken/Beef Stock (depending on what you are serving it with)
- Soy Sauce to taste
- A little Black Pepper to taste
- Fry the vegetables and herbs in the butter for around 10 minutes until the vegetables start to soften and brown lightly.
- Next, scatter over the caster sugar and continue to cook until the vegetables begin to caramelise.
- Once caramlised, stir in the flour and cook for a further 1-2 minutes then add the tomato purée and vinegar. Pour over your chosen stock, bring the gravy to the boil then turn the heat down and gently simmer for 10-15 minutes until the gravy has thickened.
- Finally, sieve the gravy to remove all the vegetables (and any lumps!) then add a little soy sauce to season and colour and a touch of black pepper to taste. Use the gravy straightaway or cool and freeze to use at a later date.