Serves 8, 10 minutes preparation, 10 minutes cooking
Bread Sauce is the perfect accompaniment to roast turkey or chicken for your Christmas Dinner and you can even make ours up to a month in advance and freeze it until needed to give you less to do on Christmas day!
- 1 Onion, studded with 5 cloves
- 300ml Milk
- 100g White Breadcrumbs
- 75ml Double Cream
- 5 Black Peppercorns
- 2 dried Bay Leaves
- 1tbsp Butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Freshly grated or dried, ground Nutmeg to garnish
- Put the milk in a pan then add the onion studded with cloves, cream, peppercorns and bay leaves. Slowly bring the mixture to a simmer then immediately turn off the heat and leave the mixture to infuse for 30 minutes.
- Next, pour the mixture through a sieve into a jug, then return it to a clean pan.
- Stir the breadcrumbs into the pan, bring the mixture back to the simmer and cook for 3-5 minutes.
Top Tip: you can add a touch more milk at this stage if you like your sauce a little thinner.
- Next, stir in the butter then season with a little salt, white pepper and nutmeg to taste then pour into a bowl to serve.
Top Tip: if you are making the sauce in advance, leave it to cool at this stage then freeze for up to 1 month.