Directions:FOR THE CUSTARD:
1. Whisk the egg yolks, whole eggs and sugar all together in a bowl.
2. Then separately, pour the milk and cream into a pan over a low heat and slowly bring to a simmer (i.e. until the mixture is bubbling slightly!) then remove from the heat.
3. Pour the milk and cream mixture onto the egg mixture and whisk well. This should thicken to create the custard.
FOR THE BREAD AND BUTTER PUDDING:
4. Butter the hot cross buns, then cut into quarters.
5. Place a layer of the hot cross bun quarters into a 22cm x 10cm, 5cm deep ovenproof dish.
6. Sprinkle with some sultanas and raisins and the demerara sugar. Repeat the layers and finish with a final layer of buns.
7. Pour your custard over the buns in the dish and leave to stand for 20 minutes.
8. Pre-heat the oven to 180C
9. Place the dish into a deep roasting tray, then add enough water to this bigger tray to come a third of the way up the side of the dish (this is known as a “bain-marie”). Cover with foil.
10. Carefully place the pudding dish and bain-marie tray together into the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes (or until the custard has set). Remove the foil for the final five minutes of cooking to brown the top.
11. Serve the pudding with cream.