Use sweet potatoes in this twist on a classic and comforting cottage pie!
Ingredients (Serves 6):
- 250g Beef Mince
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 Carrots, sliced
- 1 tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 200ml Beef Stock
- 1kg Sweet Potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp Dried Thyme
- 1 handful Frozen Peas
- 50g Unsalted Butter
- 25ml Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Bring the potatoes to the boil before draining and mashing with the butter and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion and beef mince then cook for about 5 minutes or until browned. Add the carrots, thyme, chopped tomatoes and about 100ml beef stock. Cook for 15 minutes, adding the rest of the stock as the mixture thickens. Finish by adding the peas.
- Tip the beef mixture into a large oven-proof dish and top with the sweet potato mash.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the potato is crispy.
Chef's Tip! Fresh vegetables are great, but frozen is a great value alternative! Keep a bag of Frozen Vegetables in the freezer and you can make great dishes like this pie whenever you want.