Serves 6, 30mins Preparation, 1hour chilling
This classic Italian appetizer is a perfect way to capture the flavours of garden ripened tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic and olive oil.
• 1 loaf crusty baguette
• 8 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped and drained
• Half a small red onion, finely chopped
• 2 to 3 cloves of crushed garlic
• 6 to 8 leaves of fresh basil, finely chopped or chiffonade
• 30ml balsamic vinegar
• 60ml to 80ml extra virgin olive oil
• Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mix the onions, tomatoes, garlic and basil using a large metal spoon, taking care not to mash or break up the tomatoes too much.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix the contents again.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. This will allow the flavours to soak and blend together.
- Slice the baguette loaf diagonally, into thick slices and lightly toast the slices until they are light brown on both sides.
- Serve the mixture on the warm slices of bread. If you prefer the mixture at room temperature, remove from the fridge half an hour before serving.