Serves 4, 5 minutes prep, 15-20 minutes cooking
This delicious soup is so simple to make and is perfect for a homely dinner, complete with a melted cheese topping, and is great for a wholesome lunch too.
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can baked beans
- 1 can mixed beans, preferably in a tomato sauce but in water is fine
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 mini pepperoni sticks (optional), sliced
- half a large, cooked smoked sausage, sliced (optional)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 beef stock cube, jellied stock cubes work very well
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 100g grated cheese to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan then add the chopped onions and fry for 2 minutes. Add the dried mixed herbs along with the smoked sausage and mini pepperoni slices, if you are including them, into the pan and cook for a further 3-4 minutes until the onions are translucent and the sausage slices are golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, baked beans and mixed beans (drain first if they are in water) and mix thoroughly before adding the tomato puree and the beef sock cube and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the soup to the boil stirring regularly to dissolve the stock cube then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the flavours develop and the sauce begins to thicken slightly.
- Serve in warmed bowls and top with some grated cheese and some crusty bread.