Serves 4, 5 minutes prep, 1 hour 15 minutes cooking
For a healthy and filling meal try our tasty red lentil soup which is perfect for lunch and will keep you energized for the rest of the day. For extra flavor you can add some chopped bacon before serving with warm buttered bread rolls for a delicious meal.
- 200g red lentils
- 40g butter or margarine
- 40g peeled and chopped carrots
- 30g sliced leeks
- 40g peeled and chopped onion
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock (stock cubes or jellied stock pots are fine)
- 50g chopped bacon (optional, leave out to make a delicious vegetarian soup)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter or margarine in a saucepan.
- Add the onion and carrot and brown lightly – if you are including the bacon add it to the pan now.
- Wash the lentils under cold water then add them along with the stock to the pan.
- Bring to the boil and season lightly.
- Simmer for approximately 1 hour and skim when required.
- Remove from the heat and liquidise until the soup is of a smooth consistency.
- Return the soup to a clean pan, check the seasoning and consistency bring to the boil before serving hot with some fresh bread.