Hot or cold, a quiche is a tasty, affordable and filling dish, and a great way to get in one of your five-a-day!
Ingredients (Serves 8):
- 175g Independent Plain Flour
- 75g Independent Salted Butter (at room temperature)
- Independent Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 large Independent Eggs
- 475ml Independent Milk
- 225g Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 head of Broccoli, trimmed
- 225g Cubed Cooked Ham
- 225g Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Make the pastry by sifting the flour with the salt in a large bowl. Add the butter to make a crumbly texture, and then add just enough cold water to form a stiff dough. Cover with cling film and rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190C and lightly grease a 25cm pie or quiche dish.
- Roll out the pastry and line the dish before returning to the fridge for another 20 minutes.
- Remove the pastry, line with baking parchment and fill with baking beans, before baking blind for 15-20 minutes. Discard the parchment and beans and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Lower the oven temperature to 175C. In another large bowl beat together the eggs, milk and parmesan. When you've got a lumpy batter, stir in the broccoli, ham and cheddar.
- Pour the mixture into the pre-baked pastry and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the eggs are set.
Chef's Tip! Quiche makes for a brilliant next-day lunch. Place a slice in a tupperware along with a handful of salad and you've got a tasty and healthy meal!