Chocolate Spider Cookies
I cup M&M’s Harvest Variety, divided
3 cups pretzel sticks (about 3 oz/192 pieces)
8 oz dark chocolate, melted
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
- Set aside 24 pairs of same-colored M&M’s. In bowl, toss pretzels with melted chocolate until completely coated. Shake off excess chocolate, reserving chocolate. Arrange pretzels on parchment paper–lined baking sheet, ensuring they are not touching. Let stand until chocolate is set.
- Preheat oven to 350° Using electric mixer, beat together butter, and brown and granulated sugars until fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. In separate bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt; beat slowly into butter mixture until combined. Stir in remaining M&M’s. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll dough into 24 balls. Arrange 2 inches apart on parchment paper–lined baking sheets; flatten slightly.
- Bake, in batches, for 8 to 10 minutes or until tops are just set. Using reserved chocolate, attach two same-colored M&Ms onto each cookie to resemble eyes. Carefully insert 8 chocolate-covered pretzels into each cookie to resemble spider legs. Let cool completely.
- Toss pretzels with melted chocolate in small batches; use a fork to transfer pretzels to baking sheet, so chocolate can drip back into the bowl.
- To melt chocolate, place in microwave-safe bowl; microwave on Medium, stirring every 30 seconds, for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth and melted.
Per 1 cookie
Saturated Fat 6g