1. Preheat your oven to 190°C
2. Rinse and dry the apples. Using a sharp paring knife or an apple corer, cut out the cores, leaving the bottom 1/2 inch of the apples intact. If using a paring knife, first cut out the stem area and then use a small metal spoon to scoop out the seeds. Cut the holes so that they are an inch or so wide.
3. Place the brown sugar, cinnamon, currants or chopped raisins, and chopped pecans in a small bowl and stir to combine. Put the apples in a baking dish and stuff each apple with this stuffing mixture. Place a dot of butter (a quarter of the tablespoon) on top of the mixture.
4. Pour the boiling water into the bottom of the baking dish. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 30 to 45 minutes, until the apples are cooked through and tender, but not overcooked and mushy. When done, remove the apples from the oven and baste them with the juices from the pan.
5. Serve with a side of vanilla ice cream if you're feeling indulgent!