Serves 1, 10mins Preparation, 18mins Cooking
Loaded with prawns, ham and vegetables this fried rice dish tastes just like the one you can order at your favourite Chinese takeaway. Try making this 'special' fried rice with any leftovers you have.
• 100g basmati rice or long-grain rice
• 85g frozen peas
• 1 tbsp sunflower oil
• 1 egg, beaten
• 50g finely diced chorizo, bacon or ham
• 1 garlic clove, chopped
• 3 spring onions, sliced on an angle
• ½ red pepper, deseeded and chopped
• good pinch five spice powder
• 1 tsp soy sauce
• 100g beansprouts (optional)
• 50g peeled prawns
- Boil the rice following pack instructions, adding the peas for the final minute then drain.
- Heat half the oil in a wok. Pour in the egg and stir-fry until scrambled. Tip onto a plate and set aside.
- Wipe the wok with kitchen paper, then heat the remaining oil. Toss in the meat, garlic, spring onions and pepper, and stir-fry until the pepper starts to soften. Add the five-spice, rice, peas and soy, then stir-fry for 5 mins more. Finally add the beansprouts, if using, the egg and prawns, and stir-fry to heat through.