1. Heat oven to 200C fan/gas 7. Cover a baking sheet with baking parchment. Put the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, add a pinch of salt, then rub in the butter with your fingertips until it is mostly incorporated (you don’t need to worry about rubbing the butter in too finely since it isn't like pastry!). Stir in the sugar and lemon zest. In a jug, mix the buttermilk with the milk. Make a small well in the centre of the flour mixture, then pour in the liquid. Use a knife to bring the dough together.
2. Tip out onto a clean work surface and bring together with your hands. Patting is better than rolling so that you don’t overwork the dough. Stamp out eight scones with a 7cm fluted cutter – you’ll need to reshape the dough once from the trimmings. Put the scones on the baking sheet and bake on the top shelf for 10 mins until risen and the tops are golden. Cool on a wire rack.
3. Mix the Pimm’s and caster sugar in a bowl. Stir in the fruit, cover and infuse in the fridge for 1 hr, then stir in the mint leaves.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the cream, icing sugar and Pimm’s until the mix just holds its shape.
5. Halve the cooled scones. Top the bottom half with a spoonful of cream and a spoonful of fruit, drizzle over some of the syrup, then sandwich with the top half.
NOTE: If you don't want to make it boozy, simply exclude the Pimm's from the recipe!
Cadbury Chocolate Mousse Snowmen, Beats Headphones, Apple iPads and, our grand prize, a 65" Samsung Curved UHD TV are up for grabs!
Help Santa find the three missing presents scattered around our website.
When you find a present, click on it to keep it safe and move onto a new page to find the next one. Once you've found all three, fill in the form that will appear to enter the competition!
Find three Christmas presents and WIN