Serves 6, 10 minutes preparation, 2.5 hours cooking
Our delicious, succulent Roast Sirloin of Beef is a fantastic alternative to a turkey on Christmas day and, with just four ingredients in this recipe, it is very simple to prepare.
- 1.5kg Sirloin Beef Joint
- 2tbsp Beef Fat or Vegetable Oil
- 1 glass of your favourite Red Wine
- 400ml Beef Stock
- Preheat your oven to 200˚C. Heat the oil or fat in a large roasting tin in the oven for 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, season the beef well with salt and pepper.
- Carefully place the joint fat-side down in the roasting tin and put it on the hob. Cook over a medium-high heat to release some of the fat, then, using tongs, carefully turn the beef in the fat to seal and colour it all over – this takes about 5 minutes. The joint is now ready to be roasted, fat-side up.
- Allow 10-15 minutes per 450g for medium-rare, 15-20 minutes per 450g for medium, 20-25 minutes for medium-well and 25-30 minutes for well done. Turn the joint halfway through its cooking time to cook it evenly. Once the joint is roasted, remove the beef from the pan and leave to one side, loosely covered with foil, to rest for 15-20 mins.
- Whilst the joint is resting, carefully pour off any excess fat from the roasting tin then put the tin on a medium heat on the hob. Once it begins to sizzle, pour in the red wine then allow it to boil rapidly until almost completely evaporated. Finally, tip in the beef stock, turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 4-5 minutes to give you a light sauce. Simmer for a few more minutes before straining through a sieve into a gravy boat.
Top Tip: If you prefer a thicker gravy, mix 1-2 tsp cornflour with a little cold water and whisk slowly into the simmering stock, until it reaches the required consistency.
- To serve, carve the beef into thick slices and plate with your favourite vegetables.