Serves 4-6, 20 minutes preparation, 45 minutes cooking
This tasty, comforting pie is perfect to enjoy over the festive period and is a great way to use up leftover ham. Once you have prepared the pie you can chill it for up to a day before cooking so it is good for festive dinner parties as you can simply put it in the oven and spend more time with your guests.
- 375g pack of ready made Puff Pastry
- 200g leftover cooked Ham, shredded/chopped
- 1 Onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 Leeks, the white parts finely sliced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 300ml Chicken Stock (stock cubes are fine if you don’t have homemade)
- 100ml Double Cream or Crème Fraîche
- 2tbsp Plain Flour and a little extra for dusting
- 2tsp Wholegrain Mustard
- 2tbsp butter
- A little milk to glaze the top of the pie
- Melt the butter in a large pan then add the leeks and onion before covering and cooking very gently for 15 minutes until softened. After cooking them for 5 minutes add the cubed potatoes to the pan.
- Once the potatoes have cooked for 2-3 minutes stir in the flour before turning up the heat. Next, add the stock and stir until the mixture begins to thicken a little. Once this happens, remove the pan from the heat then stir in the crème fraîche or dobuble cream, wholegrain mustard and shredded/shopped ham. Season to taste with some pepper and a little salt (the ham will make the mixture quite salty), then set the mixture to one side for 10-15 minutes to cool.
- Next, spoon the filling into a large pie dish then preheat oven to 220˚C.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to the thickness of a £1 coin. Next, cut a pastry strip the same width as the lip of the dish, wet the edge of the dish with some milk then lay the strip around it and lightly press to seal it to the dish. Brush the top of the pastry strip with a little more milk then place the pasty lid over the top.
- Neatly trim the pastry to the edge of the dish then cut a few slits in the lid to let the steam escape before brushing the top with some milk.
- If eating immediately, Bake in the preheated oven for around 30 minutes until the pastry is golden and risen.
Top Tip: the pie can be prepared and put together up to a day ahead and kept chilled in the fridge before cooking as above.