Serves 6, ready in 1 hour plus a little extra for chilling
A fantastic festive main meal, this Mushroom & Rice En Croute is a delicious meat-free alternative for Christmas day, is so simple to prepare and will keep your guests coming back for extra helpings.
- 500g block of Puff Pastry
- 1 beaten Egg
- For the filling
- 60g Basmati Rice
- 1 Onion, peeled and chopped
- 500g mixture of Button and Chestnut Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large, hard-boiled Eggs, chopped
- 1½tbsp dried Cranberries
- Handful of fresh Tarragon and Parsley, chopped
- Zest from 1 Lemon
- A little Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- Large knob of Butter
- Cook the rice in boiling water with the lemon zest for 12-15 minutes until cooked and soft then drain and set aside to cool.
- While the rice is cooling, gently fry the onion and mushrooms in the butter until soft but not browned. When softened, stir in the rice, chopped eggs, herbs and cranberries then season to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C then roll out the pastry into a large rectangle. Spoon the mixture down one side in a log before folding the pastry over to make a parcel. Lastly, trim and crimp the sides before brushing with the beaten egg, chill for 30 minutes then bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.