Serves 3-4, 15 minutes preparation, 1 hour cooking
Impress your guests with this sumptuous and delicious vegetarian main that is perfect for Christmas day and goes perfectly with our Delicious Gravy or our fantastic Spiced Pear & Cranberry Relish.
- 125g cooked Chestnuts
- 1 Onion, peeled and chopped
- 130g Fennel, chopped
- 50g Wholemeal Breadcrumbs
- 20g ground Almonds
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 2tsp dried or fresh, finely chopped Thyme leaves
- Zest from ½ an Orange
- 120ml Orange Juice
- 50ml your favourite White Wine
- 1tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- Place the chestnuts and orange juice in a small pan and bring to the boil then immediately remove from the heat, cover and leave to cool and infuse. Once cooled, pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium-size pan and fry the onion until softened but not browned. Next, add the fennel and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180˚C. Grease a 1lb loaf tin with some more olive oil or some butter. Add the onions and fennel to the chestnuts and stir in the remaining ingredients then season to taste.
- Finally, put the mixture into the tin, press down and level the top and bake for 35-40 minutes until light golden brown and slightly crispy on top. Once cooked, leave to cool for a few minutes in the tin before removing and serving.