Serves 4-6, 10 minutes preparation, 20 minutes cooking
Bubble & Squeak is a classic festive dish and is great for using up leftover Christmas Dinner vegetables the following day. Our recipe is so simple and cheap that it is perfect for a quick and easy festive meal.
- 400g cold leftover Mashed or crushed Boiled Potatoes
- 15 cold leftover Brussels Sprouts or 75-100g cold leftover Cabbage, shredded
- 1 Onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 4 rashers of Bacon, chopped
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fry the chopped bacon in half the butter in a hot frying pan and when it begins to brown add the sliced onions and continue to cook until the onions have softened and browned slightly.
- Meanwhile, mix the cabbage or sprouts and potatoes together in a bowl and season to taste. Remove the pan from the heat and tip the bacon and onions into the bowl and mix thoroughly to combine all of the ingredients.
- Heat the pan up again over the heat adding the rest of the butter and when it has melted and the pan is nice and hot tip the bubble & squeak mixture into the pan pressing down to create a flat cake shape.
- Cook for around 5 minutes and allow the mixture to brown nicely and catch slightly before flipping I over using a spatula and cooking the other side in the same way.
Top Tip: It's the bits of potato that catch in the pan that gives the dish the name 'bubble and squeak' due to the noise it makes, so be brave and let the potato cake colour.
- Once cooked, cut into slices and serve.
Top Tip: The Bubble & Squeak is delicious when topped with a fried or poached egg for a lazy festive brunch.