Butterscotch Toffee Apple
You can’t get through Bonfire Night without this classic… we’ve even got a tip for the adults to make it even tastier.
- 8 red apples
- 250ml double cream
- 25g butter
- 125ml golden syrup
- 300g caster sugar
- 75ml bourbon or whiskey (optional!)
- Flavourless oil
- Sugar thermometer
- Prep a tray for your apples by oiling a non-stick baking tray.
- Add your apples to a bowl and pour over some boiling water then dry them off. This will make sure that the toffee sticks by getting rid of any film on the apples!
- Next remove all the stalks and stick in some lollypop sticks (or go natural with some wooden sticks like we have!).
- Add the rest of your ingredients to a large pan, make sure there is a lot of spare room in the pan once ingredients are added as this mix will bubble up.
- Heat it gently, stirring until a uniform colour has been achieved and the sugar has dissolved. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil until the temperature on the sugar thermometer reaches hard-crack stage.
- Once your toffee is done turn down the heat and then dip and roll your apples around until you have a thin coating! Let the excess drip away and pop your apples onto your greased baking tray to set.
Ready to try this Butterscotch Toffee Apple recipe? Find all ingredients at a Costcutter store near you.