Use strips of courgette as an alternative to spaghetti in this deliciously healthy dish!
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 3 Courgettes, sliced into ribbons using a peeler
- 2 large Eggs, yolks only
- 50ml Double Cream
- 50g Parmesan or Pecorino Cheese, grated
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 3 rashers Streaky Bacon, chopped
- 25ml Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook off the bacon in a frying pan before adding the garlic and cooking over a medium-low heat for about a minute.
- Add the courgette ribbons and fry for an additional 5 minutes until just softened - be careful not to overcook as they will start to lose their texture.
- Whisk together the cream, egg yolks and cheese with salt and plenty of pepper.
- Add the cream mixture to pan and remove from the heat - mix well until all of the courgette is coated.
- Serve immediately, with a drizzle of olive oil and an extra grating of cheese.
Chef's Tip! Carbonara traditionally includes bacon or ham, but this is a great dish that's just as tasty if you made it meat-free. Try adding a few cooked button mushrooms for a bit of texture and a burst of flavour.