Red Velvet Cake
For the sponges
- 300ml vegetable oil, plus extra for the tins
- 500g plain flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 560g light brown soft sugar
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 400ml buttermilk
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 30ml red food colouring gel
- 4 large eggs
For the icing
- 250g slightly salted butter
- 750g icing sugar
- 350g tub full-fat soft cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees. Oil your 4 cake tins and line them with baking paper (if you don’t have 4 cake tins, then half the sponge ingredients and bake the sponge in 2 batches).
- Add your flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarb, sugar and salt into a bowl and mix. Make sure any lumps are gone!
- Then mix your buttermilk, oil, vanilla extract, food colouring and 200ml of water in a jug. Then add in your eggs and whisk together. The cake mix should be bright red – if you want it to be more vivid then add in more food colouring.
- Add your cake mixture to your tins evenly.
- Cook your cakes for 25-30 minutes.
- Once cooked and a skewer comes out clean then cool the sponge inside the tins for 10 minutes and then on a wire wrack until completely cool.
- Next, make the icing. Add the toom temperature butter and icing sugar to a bowl. Mix until smooth. Then add in your cream cheese and vanilla extract and blend once more.
- Now it’s time to assemble your cake! Sandwich your sponges with icing and then cover the entire cake!
Ready to try this red velvet cake recipe? Find all ingredients at a Costcutter store near you.