Serves 4, 15 minutes preparation, 2 hours 15 minutes cooking
A great alternative to a roast Turkey if this isn’t really your family’s favourite meat, our slow roasted chicken is delicious and succulent and will make a fantastic centre piece for your Christmas Day Meal.
- 1 medium to large free-range Chicken, around 1.5kg in weight
- 1kg roasting Potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 whole head of Garlic, halved
- 100ml Chicken Stock (chicken stock cubes are fine if you don’t have homemade)
- 100ml White Wine
- 4 dried Bay Leaves
- 1 Lemon, cut into wedges
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. Brush a large roasting tin all over with butter and smear some over the skin of the chicken.
- Place the chicken in the tin and arrange the potatoes around it. Put the halved garlic heads in the tin, pour over the white wine and stock, then cover with foil and place in the oven. Cook for 1 hr then remove the foil and give the potatoes a shake. Add the herbs and lemon wedges, then cook uncovered for 50 mins.
- Turn the heat up to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Cook for 30 mins more, then remove the chicken and potatoes from the pan. Cover the chicken loosely with foil and leave to rest on a plate for at least 10 mins before carving. Keep the potatoes warm. Serve with any pan juices.